Steaming is a simple way to prepare, clean-tasting vegetables. Steaming takes 5-10 minutes for green leafy vegetables, and 10-25 minutes for roots. All you need is a steaming basket or a pot with a lid, filled with about 2 inches of water.
To steam vegetables, simply follow these steps:
- Wash vegetables
- Chop vegetables (the smaller the size, the faster they will cook)
- Bring water to a boil
- Place vegetables in a steaming basket over water and cover
- Steam until they become bright in color or have reached desired texture
- Remove vegetables from pot and run under cool water
- Now the important part.....How do you make them tasty???
Some quick, simple tips are:
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil or toasted sesame oil to every 2 cups of greens
- Add 2 bay leaves or 1 teaspoon cumin seeds to the water
- Sprinkle greens with toasted pumpkin, sesame, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, or walnuts
- Sprinkle greens with fresh herbs: mint, chili flakes, dill, basil, parsley, cilantro, scallions
- Use tamari soy sauce or umeboshi vinegar to add extra flavor
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over them to add some zing
- Mix in some ghee or organic butter while the veggies are still hot (this is my fav)
What have you tried before that has added flavour to your steamed veggies? Share your comments below...