If you are like most people, depriving yourself of all your favourite foods in an effort to kick start your journey to a healthier version of yourself...doesn't work! Crash diets also don't tend to work because of this reason.
But what is the solution?
Well, I used to LOVE fatty foods and indulge on them quite regularly. They were my comfort food, my treat foods, my Friday night football foods, my dinner out foods, my happy foods...the pies, pizzas, chips, pastas, sandwiches, burgers, cakes and much more were always a part of my diet. Unfortunately fueling myself on these non-nutrient dense, sugar, chemically processed foods, eventually cost me my health and I was forced to change what I ate.
So, I did what I knew how to do and ate my version of "healthy foods" which was just the same old salads, vegetables and protein. This soon became quite boring and I really struggled with my cravings and with finding the joy in nourishing my body. Surely I couldn't eat like this for the rest of my life I thought?
I then started to think of alternatives for all my favourite foods and how I could create a dish that would satisfy my taste buds and provide me with the nourishment I needed to heal.
What I discovered?
Healthy meals CAN be tasty, exciting and nourishing all at the same time!
Getting creative and experimenting in the kitchen was the best way for me to keep on track with my diet and learn to nourish my body in a way that was completely fulfilling on all levels.
Through trial and error, perseverance and a lot of fun, I was able to come up with healthier, nourishing, nutrient jam packed recipes for all of my favourite foods! Here is one of my recipes for a healthier version of Shepard's Pie.
Cashew Cheese Shepard's Pie
500 grams x organic chicken mince or regular meat mince
1 x cup of peas
1 x tomato
1 x onion
1 x capsicum
1 x carrot
1 x full cauliflower
2 x sweet potatoes or 1/2 pumpkin
1 x cup of cashews (pre-soaked in water for 2 hours)
Salt + pepper to taste
1. In a glass baking dish - line sides with butter to prevent sticking
2. In a fry pan, lightly fry chopped onion, tomato, mincemeat with salt and pepper until meat is cooked (approx. 10 mins.)
3. Add in diced capsicum, carrot & peas and cook for another 5 mins.
4. In a blender / food processor, add 1 cup cashews to 1/4 cup water and blitz until cashew mixture is creamy - if needed add more water.
5. In a separate pot, boil chopped cauliflower & sweet potato in some water.
6. When the cauliflower and sweet potato has cooked through, strain, add 1 tablespoon of butter and mash.
7. In your glass baking dish add in the meat mince mixture and flatten as a bottom layer.
8. Add the mashed sweet potato & cauliflower as the next layer.
9. Top with cashew cheese as the final layer.
10. Place in over to cook on medium for 10 mins or until cashew cheese is slightly brown.
What are some of your favourite healthy 'cheat food' recipes?